Since 2014, the Luchtsingel has reconnected the former Hofplein Rotterdam train station to the rest of the city. The idea of this pedestrian bridge is to eventually create a two-kilometre-long green promenade through the city, connecting the increasingly densified city centre to the surrounding landscape. The Luchtpark (Air Park) realises the first phase of this plan.
The polder landscape that borders Rotterdam inspired the park’s design, which constellates an orchard, a meadow, a play dyke, and a reed bed, as well as reusing the original rail elements, such as the rail track, portals, and platform. The Luchtpark Hofbogen is accessed via the Luchtsingel and the Heer Bokelweg. Visitors can lie in the grass, enjoy a picnic, sit on one of the fifty artificial sheep, or explore the garden with its fruit trees, bushes, indigenous plants, and vegetable gardens. The blue play-dyke provides space for adults to lounge and for children to play. All this while enjoying Rotterdam’s impressive skyline. The original platform also functions as an outdoor auditorium and shall be completed with a pavilion.
The grounds of the Luchtpark Hofbogen can also be used for events. Many organisations have already made use of this facility in recent years, including the silent rooftop cinema Roffa Mon Amour, Conny Janssen Danst, Motel Mozaïque festival, Wunderbaum theatre group, Operadagen Rotterdam, the Rotterdamse Dakendagen, and youth performances from the Hofpleintheater.
The Hofbogen Luchtpark is the beginning of a prominent parkland structure. In the coming years, we shall continue its planning together with local residents and entrepreneurs.
- Principals-in-charge: Elma van Boxel & Kristian Koreman
- Design Team: Joan Almekinders, Antea Divic, Carlijn Kingma, Marin Kulas, Francesca Pelizzaro, Jouke Sieswerda, Izabela Slodka, Alexandra Sonnemans, Thomas Steigenga, Jan Willem Terlouw, Maciej Wieczorkowski
- Photography & Visuals: Ossip van Duivenbode, Walter Herfst, ZUS
- Client: Hofbogen B.V., Stichting de Luchtsingel
- Partners: Hofbogen B.V., Stichting de Luchtsingel, Prorail, Vestia, Havensteder, Binder groen & dak, SmitsRinsma, Gebiedscommissie Noord