From a period of severe crisis and extreme megalomania, a unique piece of city has emerged in Rotterdam. Using unconventional strategies and radical forms of city making, ZUS has forged new links between architecture, economy, politics, and public space.
City of Permanent Temporality is a journal, project exhibit and a theory for a city that is in continuous transformation, where bricks & mortar and people continue to adapt, without ever being complete. The withdrawal of governments and turbulent market forces calls for new methods of planning and design.
City of Permanent Temporality sees ZUS, known for their award-winning Luchtsingel and the Schieblock, open the book on 18 years of urban activism.
With contributions from: Michael Speaks, Michelle Provoost, Wouter Vanstiphout, Rory Hyde, René Boer and Mark Minkjan.
- Authors: Elma van Boxel & Kristian Koreman
- Guest Authors: René Boer, Rory Hyde, Mark Minkjan, Michelle Provoost, Michael Speaks, Wouter Vanstiphout
- Editing: Catja Edens, Cassandra Wilkins, Tim Peeters
- Translation: Jason Coburn
- Graphic Design: 75B
- Art Direction: Paul Swagerman
- Photographers (selection): Blommers / Schumm, Rubén Dario Kleimeer, Ossip van Duivenbode, Fred Ernst, Marc Goodwin, Denis Guzzo, Walter Herfst, Maarten Laupman
- Publisher: nai010, Marcel Witvoet
- Date: 2019
- Size: 17 x 24 cm, 448 pages, hardcover